It was super chilly here in Vermont today so I decided to make Kale and Fiddlehead Soup with things I have on hand! I used Fiddleheads which is an edible fern, If you don’t have access to them(around this time of year you can pick them or buy them from coops or independent pickers) or don’t like them you can easily omit them!
- 1 bundle of red kale
- 1 cup of fiddle heads
- 3 large potato's cut small
- 2 cans of veggie broth
- 2 cans of chickpeas drained
- 1 lb of mushrooms-sliced
- 2 yellow peppers-sliced
- 3 garlic cloves-minced
- Wash all the veggies, If using the fiddleheads make sure you wash them well and dispose of any dry brown sheath like pieces on them.
- Slice up Mushrooms, Peppers, Garlic add to a soup or stock pan with butter, cook 5-7 minutes on medium heat then add fiddleheads, cook another 5 minutes. Add veggie broth, red kale, and potatoes to the same pan with all the veggies, Cook until potatoes are soft, turn heat to low, add chickpeas and let it shimmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with crackers or bread and enjoy!